Friday, January 30, 2009

Art Museum Closure

"Brandeis University's board of trustees has voted unanimously to close the Rose Art Museum as part of a campus-wide effort to preserve the university's educational mission in the face of the historic economic recession and financial crisis..." ** WOW.  I know this post is straying from my usual discussion of art literature I've been reading but it's such a huge thing that I feel the need to address the situation as a way to let out my frustrations.  I am truly disappointed to see that in response to financial pressure, this is the step that Brandeis University must take to maintain their status quo.  The implications of such a closure are huge.  Not only is all the work in the museum's collection is going to flood the secondary market (via auctions and/or private sales) BUT this sends out a huge message to the American public about the university's priorities.  Rather than shaving off a few extra dollars from all the different educational programs they run (in different subjects, I mean) in order to keep their art museum afloat, they are choosing to rid themselves of it entirely.  I'm sure there were tons of meetings among university officials during which they discussed possible ways to avoid this situation, however if the best conclusion they could reach was absolving this 50 year old institution, they didn't try hard enough.  It's a big hit for the arts and I hope that other university's don't follow suit.  

** (There are articles about this all over the internet, newspaper, and TV but my particular source for this quotation was found at mutualart.com)  

No comments:

Post a Comment