Friday, January 23, 2009

Mr. Obama Champions the Arts!

I'd like to draw attention today to a document that I came across on the internet written by our new president that states Mr. Obama's platform for the arts.  The things that I expected to find on this piece of legislation were all there: he addressed several aspects of art education, increased funding for the NEA (which I can't seem to believe will actually happen anytime soon due to the present state of our economy), streamlining visas in an effort to attract foreign talent, AND (something that I think is most interesting) working on an effort to provide affordable healthcare for artists.  That artists do not have health care never occurred to me, but I guess it makes sense (since most Americans receive their healthcare from the company which employs them... artists don't tend to be employed by companies... etc.).  I realize that Mr. Obama puts a lot of emphasis on working towards achieving affordable health care, but never really associated that with the arts - the connection makes complete sense to me and I hope that this goal is eventually reached. 

Anyways, it is a quite interesting read and I recommend all those interested in the arts that want to know our new president's position read this document!  And here's an artistic rendition of the man himself just to add a little flare to my visually-not-so-stimulating blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment