Thursday, January 15, 2009

7 Days in the Art World

I just recently purchased a copy of Sarah Thornton's book titled 7 Days in the Art World (which was conveniently available in the art books section of Amazon.com) and can't seem to put it down.  A friend of mine said that Ms. Thornton gave a presentation for a class that she attends about a month ago and swore to me that after hearing her lecture, I absolutely needed to go read this book. I have always loved to read but have never been really been open to the idea of novels or literature surrounding the arts (maybe because it made me think of the tedious, late nights during my years as an undergrad where I would be up at odd hours of the morning struggling with pages out of a very dry art history book).  This book has very much changed my opinion of art literature.   In a very clever and expressive way, the author takes the reader through various aspects of the art market including the auction house, the art gallery, the art school, etc. and gives a very behind-the-scenes look at the way these various organizations function.  It is quite fascinating though I admittedly am only 1 chapter into the book.  The first chapter is about the auction house and presented so much new terminology that I was inspired to go do a little online research of my own.  

Can't wait to continue reading - until my next post... sold!  

No comments:

Post a Comment