Wednesday, July 15, 2009

White Oleander


I’m having such a good time reading White Oleander.  You might have seen the movie when it came out in 2002, but the book is really worth reading.  The story follows the heroin, Astrid through intense experiences as she makes her way from foster home to foster home.  Though the plot itself has absorbed my attention, I am mostly delighted with how great a job the author Janet Fitch has incorporated art and its beauty as a means of healing Astrid’s emotional and physical wounds.  The references are spot on, and for the art junkie, it’s also really cool to catch these references and understand.  Right now, I’m reading about how Astrid is going through a Kandinsky phase, but I’ll leave the rest for you to find out.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment