Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yoko Ono's Grapefruit




So I was given a very old, very beautiful copy of Yoko Ono's Grapefruit as a gift recently. I had previously been sneaking quick reads whenever I would see it over at my friends' houses, and I cannot be more excited that I now have my very own. It is unbelievably beautiful and poignant - and totally Fluxus. You know, she's more than just the wife of the former Beatle, but an extremely accomplished and amazing artist.

A few excerpts:

HAND PIECE
Sit in the garden.
Raise one hand.
Extend it until it reaches a cloud.
Have your friend ring a symbol.
Keep extending it until it goes out
of the stratosphere.
Have your friend put a flag out.
1963 Summer

BODY PIECE
Stand in the evening light until you
become transparent or until you fall
asleep.
1961 Summer

PAINTING TO HAMMER A NAIL
Hammer a nail in the center of a piece
of glass. Send each fragment to an
arbitrary address.
1962 Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment