Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Work of Art: The Next Great Artist" : A Watch-Worthy Television Show


I know it's not an art text, but a recent Bravo television show has caught my interest (more than any art book I've read or heard about in the past few weeks), so I thought I'd deviate from the norm and discuss the new hit show.

"Reality Television" are two words that usually make me cringe. I am not entertained by wanna-be celebrities duking it out on a private island or trashy Jersyites documenting their days spent at the tanning salon and showing off their"Situations" on the boardwalk.

But, I do like to think of myself as open-minded, and as an art-lover, I felt the show deserved a chance. After watching two episodes of "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist" I eagerly await the third one (and the entire season for that matter). Similar to one of the few reality television shows I do watch, "Project Runway" (in which fashion designers compete in various elimination-style challenges for a chance to show their line at NY Fashion Week and a large cash prize), "Work of Art" started off with over a dozen hopeful contestants (artists with differing backgrounds, educations, art experience and artistic styles - ranging from representational to conceptual, etc) eager to show off their talents. "Work of Art" eliminates one artist each week, based on how they perform in the challenge (a time-sensitive, limited-resource, art-related task).

The fashionable actress, New Yorker, and self proclaimed art-enthusiast Sarah Jessica Parker is one the executive producers of "Work of Art," which will reward its winner with a solo show at the Brooklyn Museum along with a hefty $100,000 prize.

I like the non-snooty aspect of the show and the universal quality (you don't need to know much about art to understand, appreciate and enjoy "Work of Art"). The judges are honest and detailed in their critiques, which is refreshing (and educational). Famed art critic Jerry Saltz is a judge, along with China Chow (who's also the show's host), Bill Powers and Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn. Simon de Pury, chairman of the world-renowned auction house Phillips de Pury and Company, acts as the mentor for the contestants, giving them feedback as they create in the studio (if you watch "Project Runway," consider Simon the Tim Gunn of "Work of Art").

In all, the show is engaging (I shout out my thoughts and nod in agreement along with the judges as if I'm one of them), the characters are intriguing (I'm rooting for the OCD installation artist, Miles) and the art is diverse and unique (which to me, shows that the weekly challenges are well thought out and broad enough to allow for many different interpretations).

Check it out on Bravo, Wednesdays at 10pm Central Time.

See what the NY Times has to say about "Work of Art"

No comments:

Post a Comment